Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 00:56:38 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: raw-sha2 CUDA fails IRL (it seems)

On 2012-06-29 00:40, jfoug wrote:
> Does jumbo guarantee a short word (following PLAINTEXT_LENGTH) in all
> cases?  I know I argued for this, but was not sure it ever made it.
>
> Are we sure it is working at all?   I think the times when it was
> still problematic was after extern and after rules.  I thought we had
> put it into the in-memory dictionary loader (and line reader), but
> that was as far as it got.   If JtR IS assuring proper PW truncation,
> then by all means ignore my lack of memory on this one.

You are right it wasn't always - up to and including Jumbo-5 :-) The
last piece (external mode) was not there then, so Jumbo-6 is the first
Jumbo that is supposed to truncate in *all* situations before passing to
set_key(). If it does not, I consider that a bug in core. I put a lot of
time into this half a year ago because some fast vectorized formats
benefit significantly from not having to care about it.

And you are still right if we are talking about salts. John serves
whatever $salt$hash line was in the input file, up to LINE_BUFFER_SIZE
or something like that (several kilobytes) so if get_salt() just eats
anything and put it into a buffer of length 8, we are toast!

magnum