Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 00:12:08 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: WPA-PSK big-endian fix

magnum, Lukas -

The attached patch makes the WPA-PSK format (CPU) work on big-endian
(tested with macosx-ppc32-altivec-cross).  Please apply to magnum-jumbo.

BTW, we need a second test vector, which should be for the keyver == 1
case.  When our only test vector is for keyver != 1, the test passes
regardless of the endianness of keyver, even though I think the code was
not actually right for big-endian, and a swap of keyver was needed (added
with this patch).

The byte-swap of eapol_size was definitely needed - I was getting a "Bus
error" without it since a huge eapol_size was passed to HMAC().

In fact, it could be best to have two SHA-1 test vectors and one MD5, so
that the MD5 one is not used for benchmarks (only the first two salts
are used).  This affects wpapsk_postprocess() only, though, so the
performance difference should be minimal.  The main loop uses SHA-1
either way.

Alexander

View attachment "john-wpapsk-bigendian.diff" of type "text/plain" (629 bytes)