Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:49:27 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RAR cmp_one(3) failures

On 2012-06-27 21:36, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 09:30:38PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> Do you still get the failures after the EVPDecryptFinal() fix? I now run
>> this (linux-x86-64i OMP):
>>
>> count=1; while true; do ../run/john -t -fo:rar || break; echo $count;
>> count=$(($count + 1)); done
>>
>> When I write this, it's 300 "DONE", and counting.
>
> I haven't updated to your latest yet.  When I had commented that line
> out, the errors persisted for me.  They went away when I realized that
> CRC32_Init() is indeed not thread-safe the very first time it's called
> in a program (it was not meant to be thread-safe when written!), and
> added "#pragma omp critical" right before it.  I find it weird if/that
> we were hitting this very thing.  Yet I am not getting any faults with
> that change, running a command almost identical to yours. ;-)

I have now close to 1100 test runs with no problem, without that pragma.
But I may have a different version of SSL. By the way, I'm not sure I
have seen the problem on this very laptop since I upgraded the OS, so it
might be dependant on OpenSSL version.

I'll commit that #pragma too and hopefully we are set (I will continue
testing).

magnum