Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 02:54:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: deepika dutta <deepikadutta_19@...oo.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: mschap-v2 conversion

Hi solar,

I am in some confusion, you wrote that "but that does not explain the low speed for the "many salts" case (the uses of MD4 are in key setup only)", where you want to say that since MD4 is in key setup only and since for many_salt case, key setup is not performace critical therefore speedup should be high. But what is happening in mschapv2 is that in mschapv2_set_key() ( which is called from bench_set_keys()) following is being done only (keys are being copied to saved_plain[]).

saved_len[index] = strlen(key);
memcpy(saved_plain[index], key, saved_len[index] + 1);
keys_prepared = 0;

But md4 calculation is being done in mschapv2_crypt_all() which happens in both single and many salts cases (i debugged and confirmed). So how is keys_prepared flag playing any role here in avoiding this computation? This means that apart from above three lines of code, same thing is happening in single salt and many salt and thus the difference in benchmark result for both should not be very high.

Correct me wherever i am wrong.

Cheers,
Deepika