Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 02:27:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Bit Weasil <bitweasil@...il.com>
Subject: OpenCL kernel max running time vs. "ASIC hang"

Lukas, myrice, Sayantan, magnum -

I discussed this matter with Bit Weasil on IRC a few days ago.
According to him, we shouldn't be trying to spend more than 200 ms per
OpenCL kernel invocation, or we'll face random "ASIC hang" issues on AMD
cards (not only on 7970 - in fact, Bit Weasil is playing with 6000
series cards mostly).  Apparently, if a kernel runs fine for 500 ms on
one occasion (or even on 100 occasions in a row), that does not mean it
won't "ASIC hang" on another occasion - but by reducing that to <= 200 ms,
things become reliable.  (That's how I understood Bit Weasil.)

Alexander