Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 08:55:18 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Several enhancements for relbench

On 06/24/2012 06:40 AM, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> I haven't applied your patches since I don't understand them ;). Can
> you send all the patches to apply in a single mail (in git patch
> format)? Thanks.

OK, a single mail, but several patches (in git patch format) as they
were posted earlier.

The most important now are (to apply in this sequence):

0001-benchmark-unify-a-Perl-script-to-convert-benchmark-o.patch
from my mail
Re: [john-dev] relbench: map old and new format names
06/23/2012 01:00 AM
(An earlier version of that patch was "rejected" by Alexander because
the functionality was implemented directly in relbench instead of in a
separate script.)

benchmark-unify will convert the output of

./john --test

in a way that the format names used by an older john version will be
converted into the format name used by the latest version.

This allows

./relbench file1 file2

to find more matching formats, so that more benchmarks can be compared
than without such a format conversion.

On top of that one (not because there would be any collisions, but
because a changed output of the relbench script refers to the
benchmark-unify script created with the patch mentioned above.

0001-Several-enhancements-for-relbench.patch
from my mail
[john-dev] Several enhancements for relbench
06/23/2012 07:17 PM

(Please see my mail / the complete thread discussing the change with
Alexander) for details.

These two should apply without problems, because noone else is working
on those files.

Less urgent now, but important to apply before a jumbo-6 release,
because I change the output of --list=format-details, inserting a new
column in the middle.
(Such a change is only possible because --list=format-details is a new
feature, not one that is already in use by someone.)

0001-list-format-details-add-number-of-test-cases-to-outp.patch
from my mail
[john-dev] Add number of hard coded test cases to --list=format-details
output
06/23/2012 01:35 PM

This patch ads the number of format test cases hard coded in the source
code to the --list=format-details output.

And this one on top, because it fixes gcc warnings about unused
variables introduced by
0001-list-format-details-add-number-of-test-cases-to-outp.patch:

0001-Fix-gcc-warnings-in-list-format-details-code.patch
from my mail
Re: [john-dev] Add number of hard coded test cases to
--list=format-details output
06/23/2012 08:57 PM

These two should also apply without problems.
The line numbers might have changed.
If there is a problem applying those now, I'll submit a new patch
instead. The first two patches are more important.

All those patches have been created using

	git format-patch HEAD -1

after committing the changes to my local test branch.
Usually I add a good descrition during the commit.

Frank

View attachment "0001-benchmark-unify-a-Perl-script-to-convert-benchmark-o.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (4837 bytes)

View attachment "0001-Fix-gcc-warnings-in-list-format-details-code.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (838 bytes)

View attachment "0001-list-format-details-add-number-of-test-cases-to-outp.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (3454 bytes)

View attachment "0001-Several-enhancements-for-relbench.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (4296 bytes)