Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 23:02:46 +0800
From: myrice <qqlddg@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: async key transfers to GPU (was: Weekly report 1)

Solar, Samuele -

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 5:26 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> myrice, Samuele -
> While thinking of formats interface enhancements to make this more
> efficient, I realized that full efficiency may already be achieved by
> splitting the set of keys in only two chunks and starting transfer of
> the first chunk when set_key() is called for index ==
> max_keys_per_crypt / 2 - 1.  Do it right from that set_key() call.
> Then crypt_all() will start by initiating transfer of the second chunk
> and hashing of the first chunk (which may be already in GPU by that
> time), and then proceed to hash the second chunk (its transfer to GPU
> may complete while the first chunk is being hashed).  (You'll need to
> handle the special case when fewer than max_keys_per_crypt or even fewer
> than max_keys_per_crypt / 2 keys are tried per crypt_all() call.  Not
> optimize for this case, but just make sure it works properly as well,
> without real async transfers then.  This is not difficult.)

I think you mean we do not use multiple streams, we only overlap the
memcpyH2D with CPU code. So in crypt_all(), I will do the followings
1. copy second half of the keys to GPU 2. hash first half of the keys
3. hash second half of the keys. When 2 finished, 1 may be already
done and 3 will start.

I don't know whether 1 and 2 is overlapped with the same stream. I am
doing this. Will let you know the result soon.

Thanks
myrice