Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:39:54 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Raw SHA-1 and RAR3 SHA-1 AES FAILed self test on 32bit
 linux OMP builds

On 2012-06-21 20:37, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> I managed to get additional failed tests on OMP enabled builds (but not
>> for linux-x86-any with OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp, only for
>> linux-x86-mmx and linux-x86-sse2[i] with OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp -msse2
>
> When I just test --format=raw-sha1 or --format=rar, the errors do not occur.
> I'll do some more tests.

The RAR format actually has a known bug, it will sometimes fail at
cmp_one(3) and I will give a beer to anyone that finds the culprit. It's
present in non-OMP CPU-only builds and any other ones too. But the
moment I grab my debugger, the bug crawls back under its' stone and
hides until I give up.

I just *hope* that if you pass the self-test, you will actually be safe
running a crack, but I am not sure. I have never seen a false negative
once passing self-test.

BTW, cmp_one(3) indicates the problems is with normal (-m3) -p archives,
that is, deflated ones without encrypted headers. So the problem *might*
be within unrar.c (the clamav stuff) or the inititalization / use of it.
I have gone through all of it a dozen times and I just can't find the
problem.

magnum