Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:24:27 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.9-jumbo-6

On 06/21/2012 06:15 PM, jfoug wrote:
> Can we remove this from the usage of JtR (at least make it a hidden option)
>
> --field-separator-char=C  use 'C' instead of the ':' in input and pot files
>

> I added this, for usage in dynamic, but I really feel it is (or should be)
> deprecated.  $HEX$ in the salt field should be used instead.

I think making --field-separator-char=C a hidden option (or not even
listing it under --list= hidden-options) is a good idea.
(As long as it is a hidden option, bash completion will nevertheless use
it when pressing [tab].)

If someone uses this option nevertheless, a warning should be written to
stderr, pointing out the correct solution for the problem of hashes
containing colons (as part of the salt).

Frank