Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:54:45 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: binary() must not return unaligned

On 2012-06-21 00:20, magnum wrote:
> I just committed a fix for RACF, it would segfault on Sparc.
>
> The output pointer from binary() will be sent to binary_hash() so if the
> latter treats the binary as ARCH_WORD_32*, you can't have binary()
> return a pointer to an unaligned buffer. It will work fine on Intel but
> not on eg. Sparc.
>
> In bleeding, we have self-tests that tries to detect such problems.

Dhiru,

I see now I missed a sizeof() when I did the above (sorry!), and you
fixed it.

However, today you implented almost identical problematic unaligned code
in django's binary(). Are we going to go through this everytime? My
explanation above holds true for any format. Fix this (just like it is
in RACF now), and please do not re-implement this exact bug again in
other formats.

magnum