Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 05:33:50 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Record Loaded hashes/salts with current interface

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:25:49PM -0400, jfoug@....net wrote:
> ---- Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I should introduce a clear_cache() format method along with my
> > other formats interface changes.  It would then be called right before
> > cracking start.
>
> I like this A LOT.  I just spent some time today working partway through (still some to go), some issues in the dynamic, where I really need something like this.

What would you use it for?  Maybe your description will affect what I
call it. ;-)

> If you do it, PLEASE pass in an pointer to the format object, like in valid(), prepare(), init().

Why pass that pointer?  This method would only be callable after init()
anyway, so your code for it could use the pointer recorded from init()
if desired - much like you can do from any other method except for init()
and valid().  These two are the only ones that may be called before a
preceding call to init().  ...Oh, in jumbo this also applies to prepare().

Well, I do see some value in having the pointer readily available in all
format methods, but it's not worth the overhead (considering that you
can simply store the pointer from init() if you need it elsewhere) and
I'd rather not single out clear_cache().

Alexander