Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 04:36:45 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Record Loaded hashes/salts with current interface

Hi myrice,

Sorry for the delayed response.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:30:04AM +0800, myrice wrote:
> I am trying to store loaded hashes/salts on GPU. The first thing is
> how to get all of them with current interface.
>
> Hashes will visible to me in cmp_all(binary) and salts in set_salt() I
> think. Pick hashes for example, my dilemma is benchmark, self_test and
> normal crack process all call cmp_all(binary).
>
> In normal crack, I can record each binary I see until the second time
> I see it. This will record all loaded hashes.
>
> But before normal crack or benchmark, there is always a self test.
> After self test, the recorded hashes should be abandoned. I want to
> know how to distinguish between self test and normal crack. So I can
> reset the hashes I recorded in self test.

I suggest that for now you introduce a global variable that is set or
incremented after self-test.  You'll check it from your format and drop
previously-cached hashes and salts when it changes.  Or you may assume
that a self-test is done at least once (or even exactly once) and only
start recording after this variable has changed.

Maybe I should introduce a clear_cache() format method along with my
other formats interface changes.  It would then be called right before
cracking start.

Alexander