Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 01:10:21 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wordlist dupe suppression

On 2012-06-20 00:50, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:39:11AM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> I think we are over-complicating a trivial matter.
>
> Yes.  Just don't implement the config file settings - and it's easy. ;-)

You all are a bunch of silly gits.

> Failing that, I am OK with your most recent proposal to have the config
> file settings shipped as default-off and with a warning comment nearby.

I was thinking of having the closed-loop default as non-zero though.
This is new functionality so it can't affect existing jobs. And this is
where dupe suppression shines.

Current implementaion for pot files is 1 GB >> mem_saving_level, but I
admit that might be hefty for some of the ancient stuff we are
supporting. But I'd like it as 64 MB at least.

There's another catch though. If this figure is larger than
-mem-file-size, then what? Bail out with error? Over-ride
-mem-file-size? Silently ignore dupe suppression?

magnum