Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 00:18:04 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wordlist dupe suppression

On 2012-06-19 23:23, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:48:23PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> Command line option:
>>
>> --dupe-suppression       Suppress dupes in wordlist [regardless of size]
>
> Sounds fine.
>
>> john.conf options (as delivered):
>
> If you implement these, please make sure they result in
> --dupe-suppression added to .rec file if dupe suppression was on, and
> are ignored when restoring a session that does not have
> --dupe-suppression in the .rec file.  Hmm, this gets complicated
> (although we already do something similar for autodetected --format).
> That's a reason not to have the john.conf options, I think.  Can we have
> the command-line option only, and that's it?

I'd rather have a conf option. Let's not over-complicate this. I think
this is fair:

1. If --dupe-sup is given, it will override whatever size was/is given
(if any) in the conf file, and this option (switch) will obviously be
stored in the session file.

2. If --dupe-sup was not given, the john.conf threshold will be used.
But it will be disabled as delivered, and it will include a comment
stating that you should not change it and then resume. If you do anyway,
then you are on your own.

BTW, what are we doing with an auto-detected format? I never saw that.
Are we including the auto-chosen format as a synthetic --format option
in the .rec file?

magnum