Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:29:33 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: wordlist dupe suppression

>From: magnum [mailto:john.magnum@...hmail.com]
>
>On 2012-06-19 21:28, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> On 06/19/2012 08:12 PM, jfoug wrote:
>>> I really dislike the worddupe code, being default.  Yes, I can see
>>> certain benefit from it, but making it default, .....
>
>We could make it configurable and default to off. It just beats me why
>anyone would prefer that.

I have dicts (large ones), that have been properly dupe removed.  Why would
I want to load gb's of data, and have it dupe checked every time I load
these files??

I think this should be a command line switch, not a john.conf.  It could be
done that there is a .conf and command line switch.  So you could put it in
the .conf file, and forget about it, and always have the dupe control work.
Or someone could run with the .conf set for this to be off, and then
override it with command line, IF this behavior was wanted.

Yes, I can see this a SUPER beneficial in a .pot re-read mode.  But for
someone running properly built dicts, it is simply a time waster (and
possibly memory waster).

Jim.