Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:44:43 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Reduced binary size

>From: magnum [mailto:john.magnum@...hmail.com]

>> One other 'way' to do this, is to pass in the index to get_source().
>> This method 'may' allow us to rebuild, AFTER the crypt_all has been
>> run.  There may be issues where this method is not ideal, and may not
>be 'good enough'
>> for many formats.
>
>Not sure what you mean.

If the index was sent (meaning we are calling get_source for the 17th
password), and this call comes after the crypt_all, then the format can use
the completed hash, to re-create the binary hash value.

This situation MAY end up being one where we cannot have both get_source()
and partial binary.  NOTE the side effects and other bad stuff we ran into
with SHA1_LI format.  It was partial.   When I wrote get_source(), I DID
list certain assertions / requirements for it to be able to be used.   The
SHA1_LI broke those requirements, and we were able to work around some of
it, but trying to do this in more of a wholesale manner (true partial
binaries), may be more than we can work around.

Jim.