Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:55:41 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [patch] optional new raw sha1 implemetation

On 2012-06-17 22:23, Simon Marechal wrote:
> On 06/17/2012 09:57 PM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> But since both formats crack the same hashes, the final goal should be
>> to have one format, with proper #ifdefs..., or am I missing something?
>
> The current format will be slower, but works with longer passwords. The
> limit to 15 characters is acceptable for most workloads, but not all.
> Keeping both is however detrimental to the usability ...

There's also the ingredience of competition... I wrote the NT2 format
just for comparing how Simon's intrinsics would do compared to Alain's
format. To my surprise it could compete, despite not reversing steps. I
was hoping that would trigger Alain to push his format further, but he
didn't (yet)  :)

magnum