Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:18:39 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: .gitignore (was: bash completion)

On 06/11/2012 07:41 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 2012-06-11 12:26, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> BTW 1:
>> Could you add
>> *~
>> *.patch
>> to the .gitignore file of your repository?
>
> Will do. Maybe *.diff too. I thought *~ was there already, maybe that's
> in my .git/info/exclude (which doesn't replicate).

May be *~ shouldn't even be in the central .gitignore.
Someone who doesn't use any editor which creates *~ files wouldn't need
this.
So we could limit .gitignore to project specific exclusion patterns.

Those who need this can add it to .git/info/exclude or a user specific
global file.

When I encountered a doc/.RULES.swp file

$ file doc/.RULES.swp
doc/.RULES.swp: Vim swap file, version 7.3

I used
$ git config --global core.excludesfile ~/.gitignore

which added these lines to ~/.gitconfig
[core]
	excludesfile = /home/fd/.gitignore

(If you want to track your home directory with git, you might want to
pick another excludesfile name, and use ~/.gitignore just for your home
directory.)

Then, I added this line to my ~./gitignore file:
.*.sw?

Frank