Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 00:15:03 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: [patch] optional new raw sha1 implemetation

On 2012-06-15 18:44, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 04:54:15PM +0200, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
>> As the code is self contained, I've just attached my first attempt. Let me know
>> if you have any feedback, or suggestions to help get it merged.
>>
>> I've only tested it on Linux with GCC, and you need to add -msse4 to CFLAGS in the Makefile.
>>
>> The code is original, I can assign copright to Solar if required.
>>

> I made some slight adjustments to the scheduling, please use the
> attached version instead.

Tavis,

I see a problem in binary(). You alloc space for a binary and return it
to john, but john will only copy it so this is a memory leak. We could
change it to a one-time alloc:

static uint32_t *result;
if (!result)
         result = mem_alloc_tiny(SHA1_DIGEST_SIZE, MEM_ALIGN_SIMD);

However, as the alignment requirement is not really in binary() itself,
we could just as well do this:

static uint32_t result[SHA1_DIGEST_SIZE/sizeof(uint32_t)];

And actually no matter how we do this, john will (currently) copy it
with MEM_ALIGN_WORD in loader.c.

magnum