Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 23:36:26 +0200
From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...xchg8b.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: [patch] optional new raw sha1 implemetation

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:06:21PM +0200, Simon Marechal wrote:
> On 06/15/2012 07:38 PM, Simon Marechal wrote:
> > On my i7-3770, this code give between 15.8M and 16.2M c/s with gcc
> > 4.6.3. The precompiled intrinsics code gives a consistent 16.5M. This is
> > really good. I am downloading ICC and will try to port some tricks.
>
> Finally managed to download and rebuilt everything with the latest icc
> (this was a pain). The build did had to be fixed :
> * it doesn't like the redefinition of _mm_testz_si128. I just commented
> it out but a good #ifdef is required

Oops, good point. I'm not sure how to tell if it's available or not (I
think it was accidentally ommitted in some gcc releases), but gcc seems
to tolerate me writing my own, so I did that.

I'll look into how to do it properly.

> * ASFLAGS needs to be overridden so that the compiler knows it should
> use AVX and uses CPU_detect
>
> should I do it and submit a patch or would magnum/jfoug do it himself ?
> I suppose I can even just push it ...
>
> The current SSE code cracks 19.8M c/s. Taviso's is faster at 21.3M c/s,
> and doesn't use the register scheduling trick that is in
> sse-intrinsics.c. This _might_ mean it could be faster.

Nice, that's great news! Solar also mentioned I should read this, I'll
do that and see if there are any ideas to steal :-)

> Some of the improvements can't be moved to the intrinsics code as it
> would break things, so it makes sense to keep it as is :
> * reversing the last steps
> * limiting the max password length
>
> The code seems to be full on fun stuff however, and to be a good read.

Thanks!

Tavis.