Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 00:35:54 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Recent github patches

On 2012-01-27 21:45, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:19:19PM +0100, magnum wrote:
>> * Experimental support for running "closed loop" - i.e. wordlist mode
>> with a .pot file as input. We might want better dupe supression (to
>> memory buffer), possibly reusing "unique" code. The current code only
>> supresses consecutive dupes (just as for any wordlist file).
>
> In fact, I thought of optionally using the "unique" code in wordlist mode
> regardless of where the input comes from.  However, I am concerned that
> if changes this invasive are first made in -jumbo, it will deviate from
> the main tree's code too far.  Ideally, I should find time and implement
> this in the main tree first... but it's not something I'll have time for
> any time soon (got other priorities, including for JtR).

Until now I managed to stay away from this, but I now have a solid
implementation that I plan to commit after optimizing and testing quite
a bit more. It's not invasive though, it's very simple (stripped down
pieces from unique.c) and will be trivial to back out of if/when you
implement this in core JtR.

The "closed loop mode" is curious without dupe detection, but it really
rocks with it.

magnum