Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:38:27 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Add john.local.conf to release-Jumbo

On 05/29/2012 10:22 PM, magnum wrote:
> I was thinking we might want to do one of these:
>
> Add an .include <john.local.conf>  to the end of john.conf, and have the
> Makefile create an empty such file if it does not exist. Personally, I'd
> then add all my personal stuff in john.local.conf and the john.conf
> would be much easier to "sync" with the release version.
>
> Or alternatively:
> Add the same line to john.conf but also add a cludge in config.c so we
> never complain if that file does not exist.
>
> Or, perhaps:
> Do not even add that line to john.conf, but always source any
> john.local.conf file, if we found one.
>
> What do you think?

Excellent, I'll do as I please then. I went with the first option: When
building, john.local.conf will be created (empty) if it does not exist.
But it will never be overwritten and no release tarball should ever
contain that file.

Also, I committed some other changes I thought are undisputable: Create
a rules section "Extra" for the, until now, commented-out rules of
Single mode. Also, add new rules "Single-Extra" (consisting of Single
plus Extra) and "Jumbo" (consisting of *all* rules we have, including
NT). I wanted to preserve the name "All" for local use, that's why I
used "Jumbo" instead.

magnum