Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 21:18:32 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Patch: allow --markov=SECTION in addition to --markov[=[MIN_LEVEL-]LEVEL[:START[:END[:[MIN_LENGHT-]LENGTH]]]]

Hi all,

this (or something similar) has been discussed in the past, see
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2011/03/16/5
and the three follow-up messages (6-8 on the same day).

As suggested the last time --markov=section has been discussed, I made
sure that the old behavior still works (and is the default when --markov
is used without specifying any values).

--markov=SECTION is the only way to use several Markov sessions at the
same time which use different stats files - unless you use separate
config files.

May be it is easier to discuss an existing implementation, so I prepared
a patch.

That's why my implementation requires these variables to be specified
in the [Markov:SECTION] that corresponds to the --markov=SECTION command
line option:
Statsfile
MkvLvl
MkvMaxLen
These variables are optional (0 being the default if not specified):
MkvStart
MkvEnd
MkvMinLvl
MkvMinLen

To be able to distinguish --markov=LEVEL and --markov=SECTION, the
current implementation tries to use --markov=LEVEL unless the first
character of the value is a letter.
(This could be relaxed a bit, treating any value that contains at least
one letter and no colon as a section name.)

I also modified doc/MARKOV, run/john.bash_completion and john.conf.

I verified that the old logic still works, and that I can interrupt and
restore a session using --markov=section

I did not see any negative side effects, but please feel free to test
the patch and/or suggest changes.
(Most important for me are your thoughts regarding changes in the user
interface, because I'd hate to add changes that are not backwards
compatible to a previously released version.

Frank

View attachment "0001-Implement-markov-SECTION.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (12914 bytes)