Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 11:37:49 +0530
From: SAYANTAN DATTA <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU formats vs Test Suite

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> Lukas, Sayantan,
>
> I just ran the Test Suite again, against all GPU formats (that it
> supports) on bull. Here are the ones that failed:
>
> form=phpass-opencl                guesses:  225 time: 0:00:02:23 :
> Expected count(s) (1470)  [!!!FAILED!!!]
>
> Note that phpass-cuda passes exact same test, max length is 15.
>
> form=mscash-cuda                  guesses:    0 unk unk : Expected
> count(s) (1430)  [!!!FAILED!!!]
>
> form=mscash2-opencl               guesses:    0 unk unk : Expected
> count(s) (1500)  [!!!FAILED!!!]
>
> form=mscash2-cuda                 guesses:    0 unk unk : Expected
> count(s) (1479)  [!!!FAILED!!!]
>
> These three do no seem to crack a single password IRL. The actual fault
> *may* be in the TS but most of these passed the tests in February so I
> think you should have a look at this. The easiest way to grab TS on bull is
> from ~magnum/TestSuite_1.12-2.tar.**bz2 - unpack it in your john
> directory.
>
> To avoid a -test=0 run (that won't work well with GPU formats) within TS,
> run it with -noprelim option. Eg:
>
> $ ./jtrts.pl -noprelim ssha-opencl
>
> The -passthru option can be used to select platform:
>
> $ ./jtrts.pl -noprelim -passthru "-plat=1" opencl
>
> magnum

Hi magnum,

I found that the output of openssl version of pbkdf2 in mscash2(cpu
version) do not matches with the SSE version of pbkdf2 for salts greater
than 19 charachters. Since  mscash2-opencl is based on openssl version of
pbkdf2, so I have limited the max salt length to 19 charcters only. But the
file /test/MSCash2_tst.in contains salts upto 22 character. I think this is
the main source of problem.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped