Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:14:11 +0530
From: SAYANTAN DATTA <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU formats vs Test Suite

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/05/2012 08:24 AM, magnum wrote:
>
>> On 06/05/2012 08:07 AM, SAYANTAN DATTA wrote:
>>
>>> I found that the output of openssl version of pbkdf2 in mscash2(cpu
>>> version) do not matches with the SSE version of pbkdf2 for salts greater
>>> than 19 charachters. Since mscash2-opencl is based on openssl version of
>>> pbkdf2, so I have limited the max salt length to 19 charcters only.
>>> But the
>>> file /test/MSCash2_tst.in contains salts upto 22 character. I think
>>> this is
>>> the main source of problem.
>>>

>> How come not a single password is cracked then? A smashed buffer? It
>> should crack all passwords with <= 19 character salts.
>>

> BTW you only *have* to fix the buffer smashing (if that is what happens),
> not necessarily bump the max supported length (although that won't hurt).
> If you fix it and it ends up cracking 1411 out of 1500 hashes, we'll just
> instruct the Test Suite that 1411 is a success.
>
> magnum

 Hi magnum,

So I increased the MAX_SALT_LENGTH to 23 to avoid buffer overrun and also
decreased PLAINTEXT_LENGTH to 31. Now it is guessing 1410 passwords. other
90 passwords can't be cracked by my due to the salt length issue.

Any reason why reducing the PLAINTEXT_LENGTH increses guessing?? Previously
it was set to 40.

 $./jtrts.pl -noprelim mscash2-opencl
- JtR-TestSuite (jtrts). Version 1.12.2, June 3, 2012.  By, Jim Fougeron &
others
- Testing:  John the Ripper password cracker, ver: 1.7.9-jumbo-5+unstable
[linux-x86-opencl]

John Jumbo build detected.

form=mscash2-opencl               guesses: 1410 time: 0:00:00:14 : Expected
count(s) (1500)  [!!!FAILED!!!]
.pot CHK:mscash2-opencl           guesses: 1410 time: 0:00:00:14  [PASSED]

Some tests had Errors. Performed 1 tests.1 errors
Time used was 94 seconds

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped