Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:10:06 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Problem with --show

On 05/31/2012 12:55 PM, magnum wrote:
> False alarm, I found the problem. Your pot file is not created by john,
> is it? It lacks the tags. Not a bug.

Could it have been created by an older john version?

If so, we might need to optionally process those john.pot lines as well
(Depending on al variable set in the general config options section of
john.conf.)
As pointet out by Alexander, the behavior should be consistent for john
--show, john --show=LEFT, and when checking cracked hashes for real
cracking.
May be john should warn (or stop with an error message, depending on
another config setting) when john finds ambiguous formats in john.pot.

This could, however, be consuming too much run time.

Frank