Openwall GNU/*/Linux - a small security-enhanced Linux distro for servers
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:21:36 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: memory usage within JtR and possible ways to significantly
 reduce it.

That works fine, except I had to use strcasecmp() instead of stricmp().
I added an #include "misc.h" which includes a #define so it ends up as
stricmp on Windows. I'll commit this.

Thanks,
magnum


On 05/28/2012 03:27 AM, jfoug wrote:
> Try this version.  I have undone the changes to raw-md5thick, and raw-sha1
> (the tag being adding).  Now these formats also work properly.
> 
> Jim.
> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: magnum [mailto:john.magnum@...hmail.com]
>> Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:49 PM
>> To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
>> Subject: Re: [john-dev] memory usage within JtR and possible ways to
>> significantly reduce it.
>>
>> I see some slight problems. Maybe they can be fixed.
>>
>> I added a trivial get_source() to nt2, worked fine. Then I added one to
>> raw-md5 (thick) and that failed. Turns out I had to change the test
>> vectors to always include the tag (some did, some did not). But this
>> means we are not testing the format's ability to read untagged hashes.
>>
>> Then I added one to raw-SHA1 (thick) and got a similar problem: One of
>> the test vectors was in upper case. I had to lower case it, but that
>> means we are not testing the format's ability to read upper case hashes.
>>
>> I committed them but will not do more for now.
>>
>> Hm.. maybe something like this change of the self-test would fix both
>> problems? Or would it create others?
>>
>>      binary = format->methods.binary(ciphertext);
>>      salt = format->methods.salt(ciphertext);
>>      if (format->methods.get_source != fmt_default_get_source) {
>> +             char *binary2 = alloca(params.binary_size);
>>              sourced = format->methods.get_source(binary, salt, Buf);
>> +             memcpy(binary2, binary, format->params.binary_size)
>> +             binary = format->methods.binary(sourced);
>> +             if (memcmp(binary, binary2, format->params.binary_size))
>> -             if (strcmp(sourced, prepared))
>>                      return "get_source";
>>      }
>>
>> The alloca and memcpy is needed because otherwise binary and binary2
>> would point to the same static buffer in binary()
>>
>> magnum
>>
>>
>> On 05/27/2012 11:01 PM, jfoug wrote:
>>> Here is the simple change to get the get_source function working
>>> properly in self test.  In the self-test code, I was able to pass the
>>> salt. I believe the logic will be that if salt pointer is non null,
>>> then that data will be used.  Otherwise if the salt pointer is null,
>>> then the data from the last
>>> (current) call from set_salt will be the data to use when rebuilding a
>>> salted hash.
>>>
>>> I have not done a salted hash just yet, Once I do a couple salted
>>> hashes (I will likely start by doing most of the dynamic's), then I
>>> will for sure that these methods work the way I think they will.
>>>
>>> Jim.
>>>
>>>
>>> From: jfoug [mailto:jfoug@....net]
>>>>
>>>>> From: magnum [mailto:john.magnum@...hmail.com] We need to add self
>>>>> tests for this,
>>>>
>>>> Agreed.  That has not been put in place,  but must be done.
> 


Powered by blists - more mailing lists

Your e-mail address:

Powered by Openwall GNU/*/Linux - Powered by OpenVZ