Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 01:18:04 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GPU options (was: Cherry-picking from Lukas' repo)

On 05/29/2012 12:58 AM, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2012/5/29 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Thank you, I couldn't find it in ./john output:
>>>
>>> --platform=N (or =LIST)   set OpenCL platform, default 0
>>> --device=N                set OpenCL device, default 0
>>>
>>> I thought that LIST means sth like 1,2 isn't it misleading for user?
>>> Just asking.
>>
>> I just mimiced existing options, like --subformat=LIST. But hey, you
>> have a point: If/when we are going to support multiple devices it could
>> be given as eg. --device=0,1.
>
> This looks natural, I like it.

Yes... but I now realize it wont suffice. In most cases you'd run a
couple of same-model GPU's and they would probably be platform 0,
devices 0 and 1. But on Bull, the Nvidia is platform 0, device 0 and the
7970 is platform 1, device 0. That would mean --platform=0,1 and
--device=0 and it starts to get vague... and on some system we might
want to run (platform,device) 0,1 and 1,0. I'm not sure how to
accommodate that. Ideally we should come up with a better syntax for all
of this before the Jumbo release.

>> For now we could change the usage blob to
>>
>> --platform=N (or =LIST)   set OpenCL platform, default 0 (or list them)
>>
>> Is that a little more clear? The 80 char line limit force us to be very
>> terse. An alternative is:
>
> Alternative is empty:) but your first proposition is fine.

Lol, it self-destructed. I was going to say:

--platform=LIST           list OpenCL platforms and devices
--platform=N              set OpenCL platform, default 0
--device=N                set OpenCL device, default 0

but this is yet another line of output, I don't like that. Anyway we
might also want to add a CUDA device lister. What would be the syntax
for it? Maybe we should drop the --platform=list syntax and incorporate
these into the new --list option as two separate things: --list=cuda and
--list=opencl. I think that will be the best option. However, this
almost forces us to include the --list option in the usage blob so it
will be one more line anyway...

magnum