Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 20:11:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: memory usage within JtR and possible ways to significantly reduce it.

Jim -

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:38:09AM -0500, jfoug wrote:
> Current:
>
> Bin      4 bytes  (might still be 16, but for this example, I will assume it
> was only 4 bytes).
> Proposed:
>
> Bin   16 bytes

BTW, a related idea (that's been on my to-do for a couple of years) is
to split the allocations into hot and cold.  With the current formats
interface, binary would be hot and source would be cold.  (This split
into hot/cold is not implemented yet, but it could be.)  However, with
the introduction of source(), it seems that we also need to split binary
into hot and cold parts (would be 4 and 12 bytes in the example above).
The intent is to improve the locality of reference.

Alexander