Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 22:54:22 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
Subject: Re: Additions to JtR rules, arbitrary characters

If we wanted to properly support having the john.pot deal with these arbitrary crap (some may not be crap, but who knows), then we could do something like was done in the salt field within dynamic.  Having something like $HEX$hhhhhhh..  as the password, allows detecting all possible bytes in a password, including NULL (if we could find other ways to get that byte inserted into the other inner workings of john.

I am not fully sure these are needed, as these type hashes likely are not ITW real hashes.

Btw, \x0A is the proper newline ;)  I screwed up, and ppl have been following along with that mistake.

JIm.