Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 03:50:48 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --list

On 05/11/2012 02:58 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 02:52:56AM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> On 05/11/2012 02:04 AM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>>> $ ./john --list=?
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>
>> Strange. That happened to me in a very early version and I fixed it
>> then. It does not happen here since.
>
> This is easily reproducible here:
>
> user@...l:~/john/magnum-jumbo/src$ ../run/john --list=anything
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I can reproduce it on bull but not with the newest version (committed
now btw), despite not having changed much that should affect this.

So I ran gdb on the older version and just got more confused:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/magnum/src/john/run/john --list=x
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

fmt_init (format=0x0) at formats.c:30
30              if (!format->private.initialized) {
(gdb) bt
#0  fmt_init (format=0x0) at formats.c:30
#1  0x00000000004a5195 in john_log_format () at john.c:295
#2  0x00000000004a5c54 in john_run () at john.c:628
#3  0x00000000004a60f9 in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe068) at john.c:823

I have absolutely no idea what is going on. There was an un-needed
FLG_STDOUT on the list option in options.c but removing it did not help.

I give up for now. If someone has this problem with latest git code,
please notify me.

magnum