Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 02:52:56 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: bash auto-completion for john

On 05/11/2012 02:04 AM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 05/11/2012 12:46 AM, magnum wrote:
>> I committed a first version to git now. It's now:
>>
>> --list=[inc-modes|rules|externals|ext-filters|ext-modes]
>>

> Not bad. Seems to work fine when fed with valid input.
> Even the combination with --config= works.
>
> $ ./john --config=dumb16.conf --list=ext-modes
> dumb16
>
> Excellent!
>
> But:
>
> $ ./john --list=?
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Strange. That happened to me in a very early version and I fixed it
then. It does not happen here since. I will look into it. Was this by
any chance on a 32-bit build?

> It would be great if --list=? would provide a list of implemented --list
> options instead of a segfault.

Will do. I have also implemented a catch-all (not committed yet): If you
supply anything not recognised, it will list all subsections of that. So
if you say --list=options it will currently just say "opencl" but in the
future it might list more subsections of options.

Also, I started making a --list=build-info. Currently, it says something
like this for a normal installation:

$ john --list=build-info
Version: 1.7.9-jumbo-5
Build: linux-x86-64-opencl
$JOHN is ../run/
Rec file version: REC3
CHARSET_MAX: 126 (0x7e)
CHARSET_LENGTH: 8

...and for a system-wide install, it's a little more:

$ john --list=build-info
Version: 1.7.9-jumbo-5
Build: linux-x86-64-opencl
System-wide exec: /usr/libexec/john
System-wide home: /usr/share/john
Private home: ~/.john
$JOHN is /usr/share/john/
Rec file version: REC3
CHARSET_MAX: 126 (0x7e)
CHARSET_LENGTH: 8

I might add 32-bit/64-bit too. I can't think of anything more right now.
Anyone needing something more later, just add it (to the end, take care
not to break stuff for people already parsing it).

>> Now, I look forward to some more bash completion magic from Frank!
>
> May be I'll not be able to work on this tomorrow. We'll see.
> But it shouldn't be too hard for you to extend the current logic.

I'll send you a note in case I start doing it.

magnum