Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 02:27:59 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Fwd: bash auto-completion for john

Hi all,

this started on john-users (that's why the last john-users mail on this
topic is appended full-quoted), meanwhile it might be more on topic in
john.dev.

The Q&D solution to support bash completion for
--wordlist=filename_starting_with_a_tilde
was to add a line to ~/.bashrc:
complete -F _filedir_xspec john

Proper bash completion support for john needs much more effort.

But here is a first humble attempt to support expansion of option names
and expansion of file names for options --wordlist=, --config=, --pot=,
and --make-charset= (the last option probably should be ignored, to make
accidentally overwriting files harder).

If the current word doesn't start with -, filename expansion is used.

This is still more or less a q&d proof of concept.
Current limitations, TODOs and FIXMEs are mentioned in the attached code.
I have put this file into /etc/bash_completion.d, and for me it is a
useful addition, even with its currently limited functionality.

Feel free to do with the attached file whatever you want.

If you do have suggestions what to change, priority of most urgently
needed improvements, or whatever, please let me know.
(Though this is not a promise that I'll implement all suggested changes.
Everybody else is also welcome to change the script as needed.)

Should I have posted the script and continued the discussion on
john-users instead?

Frank