Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 07:23:34 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Lukas - status report #2

Hi Lukas,

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 02:57:01AM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> LAST WEEK:
> I made wpapsk-cuda and opencl formats work as they should - you can
> "crack" hccap files.

That's very nice.  I noticed that you created this wiki page:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/WPA-PSK

Maybe you can add a specific example to it (a sample input file,
commands to run on it, their output) and link to it more prominently?

> Cpu version was working for a moment, but I made some magic changes
> and broke something :) - (I cannot restore it)

Please do make it work again.  I assume it's not in magnum-jumbo yet?

Here's what I am getting with the code currently in magnum-jumbo:

user@...l:~/john/magnum-jumbo/run$ ./john -te -fo=wpapsk-cuda
Benchmarking: wpapsk-cuda [GPU]... DONE
Raw:    17341 c/s real, 17341 c/s virtual

This is 43% of hashcat's reported speed for this card.

user@...l:~/john/magnum-jumbo/run$ ./john -te -fo=wpapsk-opencl
OpenCL platform 0: NVIDIA CUDA, 1 device(s).
Using device 0: GeForce GTX 570
OpenCL error (CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES) in file (opencl_wpapsk_fmt.c) at line (122) - (Run kernel)

Not important right now (since we have CUDA working), but nasty.
I wonder if the same would occur on some AMD cards as well.

user@...l:~/john/magnum-jumbo/run$ ./john -te -fo=wpapsk-opencl -pla=1
OpenCL platform 1: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing, 2 device(s).
Using device 0: Tahiti
Optimal Group work Size = 128
Benchmarking: wpapsk-opencl [pbkdf2-sha1]... DONE
Raw:    64000 c/s real, 531692 c/s virtual

This is quite nice.  hashcat is reported to do 158.1k c/s on 5970, so
our target speed for 7970 may be about 130k c/s.

user@...l:~/john/magnum-jumbo/run$ ./john -te -fo=wpapsk-opencl -pla=1 -dev=1
OpenCL platform 1: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing, 2 device(s).
Using device 1: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
Optimal Group work Size = 16
Benchmarking: wpapsk-opencl [pbkdf2-sha1]... DONE
Raw:    2133 c/s real, 267 c/s virtual

This is also reasonable, although a CPU-specific implementation using
the intrinsics should be much faster.

> NEXT WEEK
> Finnish wpapsk formats  (wpapsk-cuda,wpapsk-opencl,wpapsk).
> Find and fix problems with my code on Bull.

Yes, please.

Thanks,

Alexander