Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:34:22 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com, deepika dutta <deepikadutta_19@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: module caling john des routine?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM, deepika dutta
<deepikadutta_19@...oo.com> wrote:
> Hi, I want to know which module calls DES routines. For eg. If I have
> following entry after unshadowing passwd/shadow files

See http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522424/Callgrind-JtR-DES-path-cropped.png
for an old version of JtR. Such graphs can be generated by building a
debug build of JtR and running it under Valgrind's callgrind tool (and
then seeing the output with kcachegrind). crk_password_loop is
indirectly calling format's DES_bs_cmp_one function (this might have
changed in the latest JtR).

However, I am unable to generate such graphs for latest JtR. I can
only see addresses of functions called in  crk_password_loop. Has
anything changed in the Makefile which is leading to this behavior?

> Is the module fmt_self_test() in formats.c making call to DES routines
> to crack the ciphertext?

See crypt_all function in DES_fmt.c file (DES format's file).

--
Cheers,
Dhiru