Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 03:36:47 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: SHA-256 code from Bitcoin miners

Hi,

I think we should look at and consider for reuse suitably licensed
SHA-256 implementations from Bitcoin miners.  Here's one:

https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer

It includes 4-way SIMD implementations of SHA-256 for SSE2 and AltiVec,
two optimized OpenCL kernels (one of them for GCN), and more.  (In fact,
I found it by searching the web for GCN instruction names, which
suggests that the kernel was optimized with specific generated
instructions in consideration.)

While this miner as a whole has recently been relicensed to GPLv3 (as
far as I understand), most of the individual files we're interested in
have their own license statements on them and are under much more
relaxed licenses.  So we should be able to take them for modification
and reuse in JtR.

diablo120328.cl (non-GCN) is under GPLv3+, but perhaps we can start with
an older version, which maybe was still under GPLv2 (I did not check yet).

Alexander