Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:31:44 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New RAR OpenCL kernel

I can't find any documentation on "VGPRS" (vs just GPRS) but I am
assuming it's the (non-scratch) GPR use (perhaps SGPRS are shader
registers?). The new code do not use local memory anymore (unless you
change a define) and apparently I use too many registers (for this card)
now. Do you get rid of the register spills with lower LWS? Anyway I have
a feeling this is not the biggest problem, I'm not sure what is. Your
card should perform better. BTW, have you ever tried cRARk on this same
card? I bet it's 10x faster than this.

Anyway if you like, you could try re-enabling local memory with the
defines of LMEM_PER_THREAD in both source files and see if it changes a
run with same LWS & KPC to the better or worse.

Today's commit should fix the find_best_() functions so they are faster,
more accurate (hopefully) and will pick smallest workgroup of several
with same c/s (so in your case it would settle for 2560 and not 7680). I
also optimised the kernel for various nvidia cards but that may just as
well be worse for AMD, who knows. And I'm 20% behind cRARk on nvidia anyway.

magnum