Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 09:49:59 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: maximum password length (was: fast hashes on GPU)

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM, Frank Dittrich
<frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> The real maximum password length should be documented somewhere.
> Either as a comment in the code, or on a wiki page, or both.
>
> We should also collect this information for any other hash type, so that
> we at least know the maximum password length when the password length
> supported by john's (highly optimized for speed) implementation is lower.
I know most of the Jumbo (CPU) hash type often define their maximum
length in the patch. I've been trying to document when I had time if
these were there: http://openwall.info/wiki/john/hash-formats Anyone
else that may have time is welcome to update. John's incremental mode
is the only "limit" I've encountered on password lengths of 8 or less.
LM hash not withstanding (limited to 7) most hashes I know allow 8 or
more characters total. Wordlist, most external modes and single crack
will try most password lengths up to the limit defined for that format
as far as I know. Rule's and possibly other factors could limit this,
I don't often try anything over 15 or 16 myself, but I know I've let
the external keyboard mode and double mode's go out longer than that.
If we want to document the max lengths of the hashes and not take into
account rules or certain modes the wiki page I've started is probably
the best place to begin with. I will try to get more in there soon,
especially for more "popular" hashes.
-rich