Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 05:46:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: WPA-PSK format

Lukas,

How about some quoting for those who might find your messages in the
list archives much later? ;-)

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 03:09:00AM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 1) Aircrack does not have gpu support.

Yes, that's what I thought too.  (Disclaimer: I never used it.)

We can and should have both CPU and GPU support.

> 2) If aircrack can do it on cpu, and people are using it with john,
> there is no need for cpu wpapsk version in john?

No, there is: to simplify things for those people (one tool to use
instead of two), provide ability to interrupt/restore sessions with no
candidate passwords inadvertently skipped because of buffering, and
improve performance (JtR's format might eventually become faster).

> 3) Do you think that we should abandon this format? - not a problem for me

No.  On the contrary, I think that it is a desirable addition.  Thank
you for your work on it!

> 4) I do not understand what are you trying to tell me :)

The above - please continue to implement this.  Also, have it read the
same kinds of files that aircrack-ng does.

Thank you for asking those specific questions.  I hope this has helped
clarify what I was trying to tell you.

Alexander