Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:32:27 +0200
From: Per Thorsheim <per@...rsheim.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MSCash2 formats reliability & usability

> IMO we should not drop the iteration count support. Any admin can raise
> it with a change in the registry, and MS may bump the default at any time.

+1. I guess the same thing applies to the previous discussions regarding
episerver hashes, where episerver now no longer have their own
algorithms. Now episerver uses whatever configuration set in
Microsoft .NET, which is offers not only a range of algorithms for
encryption and hashing, but also options for configuring number of
iterations etc.

Essentially this applies to any applications that will use .NET for
protecting passwords in some form.

(Although I doubt most admins will ever change from default though...)

--
Best regards,
Per Thorsheim

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)