Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:34:31 +0200
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR:Multi-GPU Setups

On 04/11/2012 08:59 AM, magnum wrote:
> On 04/11/2012 05:27 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> I've had to to the same. In fact, both Ubuntu 11.x and Mint 12 crash for
> me on several machines with GTX580 when merely trying to boot the liveCD
> / installer unless I add the kernel boot option "nouveau.blacklist=yes".

that line means you're not loading nvidia opensource driver which is
used as driver for the framebuffer therefore is loaded at boot time and
after that it's not possible to unload it .
It also lock X resources so even if you do a modprobe nvidia X will be
using nouveau driver; same happens with radeon driver

Solutions to this is to blacklist opensource driver or remove them from
the distro (not possible on the liveCD :-) )

cheers
Samuele