Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 01:03:18 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OS_TIMER and AMD SDK

On 04/03/2012 01:19 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> magnum -
>
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:54:31AM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> [...] I'll commit it. I will leave out the
>> OSTIMER change in x86-sse.h for now though, it's not universal. Or
>> perhaps we should universally set it to 0 until we get something better?
>> Solar?
>
> As I wrote in:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2012/04/02/25
>
> "... change that to only set OS_TIMER to 0 when
> building with OpenCL support with AMD SDK specifically (since OS_TIMER 1
> is preferable when we can have it), but to do it from both header files."
>
> I think this is what we should do, and I am leaving the task for you
> (identify and use the right #ifdef line).

Yes but I am not sure how to best detect that. I will try this for now:
Since we already have ifdef...endif's in Makefile, I will use them to
-DAMDAPP which in turn can be used in arch.h's. But this will affect any
OpenCL build even if not currently *using* AMD, but just having it
installed (like I do, to occasionally try AMD's OpenCL on CPU).

> By "both header files" I mean x86-64.h and x86-sse.h.  I think this is
> not relevant to any other archs currently.

It turns out I forgot to revert Sayantan's change in x86-sse.h, and
according to git-blame, Samuele did an unconditional change to 0 in
x86-64.h a month ago. I will now commit the fix described above.

magnum