Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:00:25 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Office 2007 files with JtR!

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:04:52PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> I have just committed a rough (it is in heavy debugging stage) patch
> to crack Office 2007 documents with JtR.

Wow.  Thank you!

> OMP support is TODO along
> with many other things like, a function is in-complete and code is not
> Big-Endian safe.
>
> Usage:
>
> 1. make office2john
> 2. run office2john on Office 2007 files
> 3. Run JtR on output of office2john

Well, but it wouldn't work yet since you had the password being tested
hard-coded. ;-)  I've corrected this with the attached patch (it also
speeds things up by a whopping 1% here).

> Performance on Atom(TM) CPU N270,
>
> $ ../run/john -format=office -t
> Benchmarking: Office [32/32]... DONE
> Raw:    30.3 c/s real, 30.3 c/s virtual

That's 50k iterations of SHA-1.  Definitely something to have on GPU.
And no need to move AES to GPU then.

Why is the length limited to 8?  Can't Office 2007 files have longer
passwords?

Alexander

View attachment "office.diff" of type "text/plain" (2375 bytes)