Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:41:35 +0100
From: Michael Pappas <pappasm@...man.ac.uk>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GPU acceleration - what to implement?

Hi folks,

Back from easter holidays, and I was wondering on how to start up with
contributing to GPU accelerated hashes. Given that I am currently
learning OpenCL (no prior experience), I think that a possible path
would be the following:

1. Keep working on OpenCL
2. Study the source code of one of the already implemented hashes
3. Implement a hash that John does not support yet
4. Improve performance of my implementation / other implementations as I
gain further experience with OpenCL / GPGPU optimisation techniques

I am currently looking at opencl_rawsha1_fmt.c. I have found some
documentation on format.h but any additional information would be
greatly appreciated. I'll probably get back to you with more specific
questions though.

Regarding on which protocol to implement, do you have any particular
recommendations? I've noticed that John does not support WPA/WPA2, but
I'm not sure whether they fit into the GPU aspect.

Any other recommendations regarding this or any alternative attack plan
are always welcome :)

Best regards,

Michael