Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 15:10:30 +0530
From: SAYANTAN DATTA <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR: GPU for slow hashes

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 08:31:07AM +0530, SAYANTAN DATTA wrote:
> > I have few question here regarding JtR format.
> >
> > 1.As the PBKDF2 step uses a 16 byte hexadecimal string as password ,what
> > should be the properties flag for this type of pass?Here's an example of
> my
> > test structure.
> > static struct fmt_tests tests[] = {
> >
>  {"c9ffa11fa850ca3e69bf2e9332528fd8","3ac02a65d6d4c6893f001ce1b4f8543b"
> > ,{"123456789123"}},
> >           {NULL}
> >           };
> > The third field is the username in plaintext.Which will be internally
> > converted to salt.
>
> Please take tests[] from mscash2_fmt_plug.c or/and cuda_mscash2_fmt.c.
> Your implementation got to work right with the same test vectors.
>
> > 2.How do you perform the benches?Do you use the crypt_all() method for
> > benching?
>
> Primarily, yes.  The benchmarks invoked with --test make use of
> clear_keys(), set_key(), set_salt(), crypt_all(), and cmp_all().
> You may see this in bench.c.
>
> Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Is there any documentation regarding the functioning of JtR format and its
associated methods as a whole?Because I am unable to clearly understand how
each function shall be invoked during a test and during actual cracking.

Adding to the complexity I have only implemented the PBKDF2 step on GPU and
the rest of the steps are meant to run on CPU as you suggested.So when the
crypt_all() method is invoked do you want to benchmark only the PBKDF2 step
or the MSCash2 as a whole. Benching the whole MSCash2 will/should be
inherently slower since only the PBKDF2 step will be run in parallel.

 Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped