Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:08:50 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: fast hashes on GPU

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 04:22:34AM +0800, myrice wrote:
> Yes, I mean what you said. We can compute all combination of salts and a
> bunch of password with invoke one kernel. So for benchmark, we have to add
> a bench_set_salts for that? I don't know if it good to change the interface
> at this time. However, I will test for the performance.

I've just explained how you can do it in another message (a lengthy
one).  No, you don't have to add a bench_set_salts().

> Besides, I write xsha512-cuda format. Optimization is needed. I put it to
> my github: https://github.com/qqldd/myrice-JtR

I just took a look.  You haven't yet implemented the keys_changed trick
that I had proposed - you're sending the entire set of keys to GPU on
every crypt_all() call, which you don't have to do.  Please implement
this one trick and re-benchmark the thing _before_ you possibly proceed
with the salts optimization (which is a lot more complicated).  We need
to know which of the optimizations made what performance difference.

Thanks,

Alexander