Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 05:07:51 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Research ideas.

2012/3/24 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
> OK, please feel free to apply for that under GSoC - or would you rather
> work on it outside of GSoC?
I decided to apply GSOC, however I will have less time than last
summer, and I am ok if others will be able to do more.

> As it relates to performance optimizations, what criteria do we use to
> determine success/failure?
I think hashcat speed - 10% is good one, but really hard to achieve.
We must decide what is more important, having limited formats but
fast, or a lot of formats but much slower than other tools.
My problem with optimization is that I cannot predict how much time I
will spend on making something x percent faster. Sometimes you just
got an idea, code it in 15 minutes and get 30% boost sometimes after
whole night of tweaking you've got 2-3%.

Thanks all for ideas, myrice is coding DES, so I will try WPA-PSK.

Lukas