Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 23:08:41 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CUDA & OpenCL status

2012/3/25 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
> Lukas - meanwhile, I got phpass to 710k c/s on my GTX-570 1600 MHz (up
> from 633k that I reported before) by moving from sm_10 to sm_20 or sm_21
> for the generated code (the latter is apparently not valid for my card,
> but happens to work - I guess the same code was generated as for sm_20)
> and by increasing BLOCKS from 126*3 to 160*3.  I guess 126 was tuned for
> GTX-560, right?  This new speed is slightly higher than the published
> speed for hashcat on an equivalent graphics card.
Nice results, good to see them.
126 was tuned for gtx 460, sm_10 is by default because of backward
compatibility.
Our phpass implementation is quite fine. It will give similar results
to hashcat depending on card you use (on 9800gt john is faster, on
gtx460 hashcat is faster, as you stated on gtx570 john is faster).

Lukas