Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 02:04:12 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL formats write-buffer optimisations

On 03/23/2012 03:21 PM, Samuele Giovanni Tonon wrote:
> On 03/23/12 15:03, Claudio André wrote:
>> Hi, I did it for SHA-512. If you guys have a deadline, i prefer to
>> submit latter. Please, let me know.
>
> i don't think there are deadline at the moment, if i'm right next jumbo
> release will depend on test on these last formats but there's no timed
> deadline (at least i hope so) :-)

If I recall correctly the last 4-5 jumbo releases has been triggered by
us (it's been me and JimF but it general terms "the community") so I'm
pretty sure Solar will wait until we say it's time.

In a way I feel we are way overdue for a release because there are *so*
many things added and improved. On the other hand, lots of OpenCL stuff
are not quite perfected yet so right now I'd vote for not releasing
until RAR is finished (including OpenCL) and we get those shared
find_best_{kpc,lws} functions, at least. And Claudio's SHA-512 fixes too
of course. This could be within weeks (although Solar may be occupied
which could push it further forward). Then there's the boring period of
code-freeze and testing (doh) on every system we can get a prompt at. I
hate testing, but I love bug-hunting :)

The Test Suite has helped a LOT last year but now it's kind of behind a
little. A number of sha-2 formats are missing (iirc) and some other
things. Some formats will probably never make it to the TS though, like
RAR and other non-hashes. Not that it's impossible.

magnum