Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 04:54:18 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Research ideas.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 06:03:51PM -0600, RB wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 17:33, Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
> > I've asked on the University, they accepted this idea. This summer I
> > would like to focus on performance for existing formats and adding 2-3
> > new formats (suggestions are welcomed).
>
> Blowfish ($2) on a GPU.

It is currently believed that Blowfish can't be implemented on current
GPUs efficiently.  That said, if Lukas or anyone manages to disprove
this, that would be even more valuable as it may affect the design of
future KDFs.

> It's not terribly common but is agonizingly
> slow compared to pretty much all the rest of the algorithms, saving
> perhaps RAR.  :)  Although my W3565 (soon to change) benches around 2k
> c/s with 4 OMP threads, against a single hash I'm seeing at most 100
> c/s.  This makes even simple dictionary runs a practice in patience.

Are you saying that benchmark gives you 2k c/s, but actual run only
100 c/s?  Is that for bcrypt or for RAR?  Anyway, this is best discussed
on its own thread.

> Beyond that, more container formats are always welcome, it's been nice
> to see JtR adding the various pieces of functionality we used to have
> to go elsewhere for - zip, pdf, etc.  Perhaps Truecrypt or some of the
> password lockers like KeePass or Password Safe.  7-zip as well, I'd
> love to see them all here one day.

Are you asking that we support more of these (which Dhiru has been
working on) or that we add GPU support for some of those that we already
support (a suggestion for Lukas' work)?

Alexander